Little things in life teach us, even simple songs.

Monday, January 25, 2010

What's the weather?

Twelve branches. Twelve months. Each day, we wake up, throw open the window blinds and check the skies. Then it's to the Weather Tree we go.

Cloudy days get red leaves
Rainy days get blue leaves
Sunny days get yellow leaves
Snowy days get white leaves
Foggy days get green leaves

Whatever it is when we get up is what we put. Some days, we have three or four weather types, but still, it's what the sky is when the sun comes up.

We're in Oregon. It's January. Surprisingly, our January branch isn't covered in blue leaves. This is proof to my mom who is convinced there's nothing but rain here. See? There's FOUR yellow leaves!

4 comments:

mamashawn said...

I've thought about doing a weather tree. How did you make your tree?

JoAnn said...

This is great! I have heard other moms talk about it online but haven't seen a large one on a wall! I think we may have to do ours...a month late but better late than never. ;) Oh and I'm readingmama from GCM

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! Can't wait to use it with my little guy next year. btw, I'm from GCM as well. Still trying to figure out what we're going to do for the little guy's education.

stumble-tripping feet said...

I went to the craft store and bought the biggest piece of intact brown paper I could find (you could really use some of that bulletin board paper that teachers use but I didn't have access).

I folded it in half and drew half a tree. Unfolded it, took it to Kinkos to laminate (get it done for half-price if you're a homeschooler). Then, I cut out leaves from scrapbook paper. In the past, I've used wallpaper samples for leaves as well. Or just construction paper.

Hope that helps.